With the countdown to Christmas nearly starting we all think about jobs that need doing at home ready for Christmas and one piece of equipment which is used the most is your oven. So, here are 7 tips on how to get it squeaky clean ready for all the cooking you will be doing over the Xmas period.
- Make sure your oven is cool then remove any cooked-on food with a metal spatula or ceramic hob scraper, then use a gel or spray-on oven cleaner.
- To clean any spills in the oven, sprinkle with automatic dishwasher powder, cover with a wet paper towel, let stand for a few hours, then clean with a damp sponge. Another popular method is to use a dishwasher tablet. Without removing the coating, dip a dishwasher tablet (the powdery kind) in some warm water. Rub it against the glass of your oven door, making sure to dip it in the water every now and then to keep it wet. You’ll see how easily it removes the grime.
- Or make your own oven cleaner from 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda mixed with a good cup of hot water. Wipe over the whole oven, including the glass door and shelves and the stains will gradually disappear. Leave for 15-20 minutes then wipe off with a damp cloth.
- Soak oven shelves, trays etc overnight in a solution of biological washing powder or dishwashing powder and hot water and the next day just rinse or pour some washing powder into a bath of very hot water and put your oven racks into it overnight. All the grime will be easy to remove after a little scrub in the morning.
- Put one cup of ammonia in a glass bowl, and place it inside the oven and close the door. Let the bowl stay in the oven overnight. The next day, use a green scrubby and wipe away those stubborn stains.
- Lemon is a great grease cutter. To make lemon oven cleaner, mix equal parts of lemon juice and salt. Apply the lemon oven cleaner to oven stains and let it sit for 15 minutes. Use a green scrubby and rinse and wipe the oven clean.
- Finally, pour some vinegar into a spray bottle and spritz the areas that still have baking soda on them. Grab your damp cloth again and wipe the excess bits away. After a quick scrub of your oven racks, place them back in the oven