“There is something in the nature of tea that leads us into the world of quiet contemplation of life” – Lun Yutang
Ten fascinating facts about chocolate…
1.The scientific name for the tree that chocolate comes from, Theobroma cacao, means “food of the gods “.
2. The smell of chocolate increase theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.
3. It takes approximately 400 cacao beans to make one pound (450g) of chocolate.
4. The English chocolate company Cadbury made the first chocolate bar in the world in 1842.
5. M&Ms were created in 1941 as a means for soldiers to enjoy chocolate without it melting.
6. Nutella was invented during WW11, when an Italian pastry maker mixed hazelnut into chocolate to extend his cocoa supply.
7. Theobromine, the compound in chocolate that makes it poisonous to dogs, can kill a human as well. However, a lethal dose to a human being would be 10 kilograms (22lbs).
8.The ancient Maya are believed to be the first people to constantly grow cacao trees and drink chocolate.
9. Contrary to popular belief, mice prefer chocolate over cheese every time. Mice love sweet smelling food so they would be more tempted by a piece of chocolate than a chunk of cheddar.
10. Chocolate is the only edible substance to melt around 93° F, just below the human body temperature.