I have written before that I receive the Tea Tourist tea box’s which come with a surprise selection of loose teas from some of the hottest artisan tea companies each month. They are sent in taster size portions for you to try. In this month’s box I had yet another amazing selection to try from and after sampling the Thieves Brew from Bev’s Tea Company, I decided to try and bake with it as well. I turned out rather tasty to say the least.
THIEVES BREW AND PISTACHIO SCONES…
Makes 14 to 16 scones
Working time: 35 mins
Resting time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
1 teaspoon Thieves Brew Tea (By Bev’s Tea) seeped in 100g/3.5oz of boiled water for 3-4 mins
150g unsalted butter
600g plain flour
30g baking powder
150g caster sugar
160g double cream
75g crushed pistachios
Pinch of salt
- Seep the tea in the water for 3-4 mins.
- Add the sultanas and leave to infuse for two hours.
- Place the milk in a pan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Rub the butter into the flour. Add the baking powder and sugar. Stir in the cream and milk. Drain the sultanas from the tea infusion and add them and the pistachios to the bowl and stir into the mix until you get a soft dough.
- Dust with a little flour and rest the dough for half an hour. Roll it out to 3cm thick and cut out your scones.
- Place the scones onto a tray.
- Beat the egg in a cup with a pinch of salt and use to glaze the top of the scones.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Leave to cool.