- Sift your flour and baking powder together 2 – 3 times when making a cake, as it will give your cake a very light and even texture and stop air pockets from forming.
- Try to store flour in an airtight container as it keeps better that way.
- Flour in baking, a high gluten flour would be used for bread and a low gluten flour for cakes
- Use plain flour which has a low protein content for baking cakes, pastries and biscuits and also for thickening sauces.
- Always stir flour to loosen before measuring.
- Use cocoa instead of flour for dusting a greased tin when making chocolate cake.
- Get a rise out of plain flour by adding extra baking powder ( 1 teasp for every 125g flour.
- Never substitute coconut flour with any other flours as they are not equivalent.
- If a recipe calls for 1 cup of all-purpose flour, try using ¾ cup whole-grain.