10 secrets to better baking –
- Leave your cake on a wire rack in the tin you have baked it in for 5 minutes before you turn it out.
- When making your cake, leave the eggs and fat our overnight so that they will be at the same temperature.
- For a really moist fruit cake, use marmalade instead of candied peel.
- For an extra rich, tasty fruit cake, use cold coffee instead of milk.
- Measure all your ingredients accurately.
- Bake your cake immediately once mixed as the baking powder begins to act as soon as its combined with liquid.
- Leave scones for a minute before you pop them into the oven as resting them allow the baking powder to become active.
- To make sure the essence you use adds flavour to the whole cake, mix it into the egg before adding the egg to the mixture.
- When baking cakes, always sift the flour first as this will incorporate air and will create a light bake.
- NEVER open the oven for at least the first half of the baking time as the cold air will interfere with the rising of the cake.